New York City has a great number of awesome burger joints and many of them are right here in the East Village. Whether you like it greasy and dirty, gourmet-type or innovative, East Village has it all. Here are my top pick!
1. Royale: I absolutely love Royale. It is a bar but I don’t come here for drinks. Their burger menu is the main draw. You need to have their juicy cheese burger with bacon. They gave you tons of bacon and the size is decent. Burger here starts at around $6. Also, order a side of onion ring if you like. It is crispy and fresh!
2. Whitman’s: Whitman’s may be a newcomer but it doesn’t lack in flavor or patrons. It is a tiny place with majority of seats in the basement. I tried both the Juicy Lucy and Peanut Butter and Bacon Burgers. Both are full of flavor and definitely juicy! They are a little bit on the small side though. This is definitely a gourmet burger joint that serves some creative burgers. Each burger is about $11 and up.
3. Paul’s Burger Joint: Paul’s Burger has been in East Village for decades. If you want some mean, greasy and over-sized burgers, Paul’s is the spot. Each burger is from $5 to around $8 with your own creation but the size is definitely one of the biggest I have had.
4. Zaitzeff: Zaitzeff is another gourmet burger joint. What makes it stands out is their Portuguese muffin bun. You have to get the kobe beef burger. They have it at 1/4 or 1/2 lb sizes so if you are a meat lover, you just might find the right place for you! The sweet potato fries here is also very addictive.
5. Back Forty: Another gourmet burger place around East Village. Their burger uses grass fed beef and it is very juicy. Their sesame buns are also firm and didn’t get soggy at all. The burger is $11 but you should pay $2 extra to get the rosemary fries.
I heard there is also another place called Black Iron Burger but I still haven’t got a chance to go. Anybody has any suggestions?
Royale: 157 Ave C, New York, NY 10009
Whitman’s: 406 E. 9th St, New York, NY 10009
Paul’s: 131 2nd Ave, New York, NY 10009
Zaitzeff: 18 Ave B, New York, NY 10009
Back Forty: 190 Ave B, New York, NY, 10009