I am a big of Andrew Zimmern’s Bizarre World on Travel Channel because it is always fun to watch him eat all the bizarre foods from all over the world. This past October, I went back home to Taiwan with my boyfriend and I know I have to take him to try all the local specialties in Taipei.Below is the highlight of what we have tried during this trip:
1. Stinky Tofu: Pungent smelling fermented tofu, deep fried and served with pickled cabbage and soy sauce.
2. Pig’s blood and stinky tofu soup: Not only do Taiwanese like fried stinky tofu, we like it in a spicy broth as well with pig’s blood.
3. Oyster Pancake: This is a very Taiwanese dish and you must try this. It is pancake with oyster and egg, top with a sweet and spicy sauce.
4. Braised variety of food: Went to “Latern Braised Food” (燈籠滷味) at Shr-Da Night market for their famous braised food. It is a street cart with boiling soya broth. You get to pick a variety of food from the cart and they will cook it for you in the broth.
5. Taiwanese Sizzling Steak: This is a popular Taiwanese dish. They have all cuts for steak, chicken, lamb and seafood as well. It is usually served with pasta and an sunny-side-up egg. Their black pepper steak sauce makes it taste even better. A steak costs merely $10 dollars with salad bar buffet and unlimited supply of soft drinks and dessert.
6. Three Cup Chicken (三杯雞): This is a Taiwanese dish popular among locals. The naming comes from its ingredients. It means 1 serving of rice wine, 1 serving of sugar and 1 serving of soy sauce as the base for this gingerly seasoned sizzling dish. You can substitute chicken for squid, shrimp, etc.
7. Pork intestines fire pot: This is one of my favorite dish. It has pork intestines, pig’s blood with salted mustard greens in chili and garlic sauce.